Here at Reds we believe it’s important to minimise our impact on the planet. To create a sustainable future for our business we have committed to practices that will support and sustain our world. Here’s the ways we follow the principles of Reduce, Reuse and Recycle to rethink our practices in the areas of waste, water and energy.
The first and most effective component of the three R’s is reducing the waste created. Here’s some of the ways we have changed our practices to use fewer resources and create less waste:
- To reduce chemical use we use products such as Inoa ammonia free hair colour and zero sulphate, 100% vegan Pureology natural hair care products.
- We ensure taps are turned off between shampoos and have low flow hose attachments.
- All our cleaning products are eco-friendly.
- Our lighting is energy efficient and eco-friendly.
- We save residual power by always turning off switches.
- With a combination of monitoring and incentives we have achieved a 5% decrease in our annual rate of product wastage.
- To reduce both excessive use of water and power, due to continuous washing and drying of towels, we have introduced disposable, compostable towels. All other washing is dried on the line outside.
Despite our best efforts to reduce waste, a zero waste environment is nearly impossible. However, much of our waste can immediately be reused to minimize the strain on the environment:
- Our new client and pre-quote form is laminated and reusable.
- Tea towels, cleaning cloths, and capes are washed and reused.
When waste is eventually discarded, separating items for recycling from other waste is important. The Reds team worked with the Mana Recovery Trust multi award winning Eco Project to optimise our recycling programme. With their help we have created an efficient recycling programme to recycle all paper, foil, tint tubes and plastic. The Mana Recovery Trust also collects our food scraps and cut hair to turn into compost!
These small adjustments and a bit of effort have helped the Reds salon become an environmentally responsible business. We have seen the benefits and continue to actively seek more sustainable options and practices. We believe that by practicing the three R’s we are helping to make a positive difference to our planet.