The fishtail braid, also known as the herringbone or fish bone braid, looks elaborate and time-consuming. But here’s a secret: it’s super easy to do, and will become a go-to favorite for rushed mornings, especially if you have long hair. Worn by celebrities from Nicole Kidman to Rihanna, here’s how you can rock this look too:
1. Tie your hair to the side in a low pony, securing your hair with an elastic hair tie. The hair tie should be up as high as it can go
2. Divide your pony into two even sections.
3. Pull a thin strand of hair from the outside of the left section. Pull it over the top of the left section, and weave it under the right section.
4. Pull a skinny strand of hair from the outside of the right section, pull it over the right section, then weave it under the left section.
5. Keep alternating sides, incorporating new hair into the strand you weave over and under (so it doesn’t run out of hair), until you reach the bottom of the braid.
6. Tie off the end with an elastic and carefully remove the hair tie from the top of the braid. If you feel that the fishtail is too tight, use your fingers to gently massage into the strands a little to loosen it slightly.
If your hair is really long, you can go a step further, tucking the hair into a bun or weaving it around your head or across the front. It may help to practice on someone else’s hair first, and after a few tries, you’ll have your technique perfected.