Here at Reds we believe it’s important to minimise our impact on the planet. To create a sustainable future for our business we have committed to practices that will support and sustain our environment and we’re proud to have won a number of awards for our work. Here’s the ways we follow the principles of Reduce, Reuse and Recycle to address our practices in the areas of waste, water and energy.
The first and most effective component of the three R’s is reducing the waste created. Here’s some of the ways we have changed our practices to use fewer resources and create less waste:
- With a combination of monitoring and incentives we have achieved a 5% decrease in our annual rate of product wastage while retaining the same colour service level at around 50%. We are proud to have achieved an average wastage of less than 1 gm per client.
- We use energy efficient hairdryers – our New Parlux 3800 is the latest eco-friendly ionic and ceramic hairdryer. This energy saving, ozone-friendly dryer is also made from recyclable materials
- To reduce chemical use we only stock Kevin Murphy and Eleven hair care products which are paraben and sulphate free. These products are also certified by PETA as cruelty free and only contain ingredients that are ethically sourced.
- Our Kevin Murphy ‘Colour.Me’ range of hair colour is PPD and ammonia free.
- We ensure taps are turned off between shampoos and have low flow hose attachments.
- We use ‘Rockfoil’ when colouring – made from recycled environmental waste that is photo degradable.
- All our cleaning products are eco-friendly.
- Our LED lighting is energy efficient and eco-friendly.
- We save residual power by always turning off switches.
- To reduce both excessive use of water and power, due to continuous washing and drying of towels, we have introduced disposable, compostable towels. All other washing is dried on the line outside.
We have devised a number of ways to ensure much of our waste can immediately be reused to minimise the strain on the environment:
- Our new client and pre-quote form is laminated and reusable.
- Tea towels, cleaning cloths, and capes are washed and reused.
When waste is eventually discarded, separating items for recycling from other waste is important. We have created an efficient recycling system to radically reduce the amount of waste we send to the landfill.
- We recycle all paper, cardboard, foil, tint tubes and plastic.
- We use our Reds worm farm to compost hair, coffee grounds, tea bags, compostable towels and kitchen waste. We donate our vermicast to fertilise a local community garden.
- The packaging of our entire hair care and colour range is 100% recyclable.
- Our retail bags are recyclable and biodegradable and made with recycled paper.
These small adjustments have helped the Reds salon become an environmentally responsible business. We have seen the benefits and continue to actively seek more sustainable options and practices. We believe that by practicing the three R’s we are helping to make a positive difference to our planet.